Saturday 3 December 2016

The Commander: Chapter 1


1 - Into the laager



He did not appear to be in command of the muscles of his own face.  He grimaced and flexed brown rubbery folds of cheek, his eyes would disappear into San-like slits.  He had a broad, almost square face; blue-black pits at the curve of the jaw from old acne.  Not a student: a lack of care taken over his hair, perhaps, or the way the brown-scuffed end of his black trouser-belt lolled out of the buckle, his slightly soiled blue-striped shirt lapping its hems over brown pants.  Scuffed black shoes without socks; on protuberant ankle-bones, grey keloid scars. I offered him my office’s one easy chair; he pushed himself down on it, almost horizontal, an exaggerated ease.
             He grimaced and winced his way through his introduction: his name was – let’s call him Vuyo –  and he was unemployed, and lived in the township – “the location”, he called it, a name that seemed to smack of the previous century.  He wanted me to look at some writing he had been doing; he had heard that “Doctor Dan” would help him with writing.  Doctor Dan found himself wondering what notions and tales were circulating about him in “the location” – why anyone in a place he seldom visited would talk about him at all.  Vuyo felt he wanted to tell some of his community’s stories; there were so many, many stories.  But he wasn’t sure of his English.
            He handed over an old school exercise-book – those blue-grey lines, the slightly sallow paper, the battered grey cover with its name- and class-spaces empty, edges browned  and curled with the dusty distances he had tramped on foot with the book wrestled into a tube in his nervous hands and stuffed in his back pocket.  Several pages were crammed with blue ballpoint writing in that style that seems endemic to African schools, its distinctive crampy curls and uprights, or whole passages in forward-leaning disjointed capitals.
            A glance was enough to confirm that the English was terrible.  Though vastly better than my isiXhosa.
            So I tried to smooth the exercise-book flat and said I would take a look.

۞

I am not a South African, though I have lived here for a long time now and have made it, somewhat accidentally, my home.  This small-town university has become my nest, rather than the country per se.  Nevertheless, to the degree that I was raised in racially-structured Rhodesia, inheriting and, ambivalently, conscripted into its dying army to fight for some of its racist ideals, I understand some of the impulses, history and particular idiocies of South African racism.  I have travelled widely but have found nowhere else I would rather live; South Africa is riddled with problems that often seem insurmountable, but they are problems I comprehend in my blood; they are, in some sense, my problems in a way British or American or Australian problems could never be.
            Part of it is this: the brick-and-skin laager of my whiteness.  The feeling that a history of arrogant dominance is still expressing itself through my very body-language, let alone words and thought-patterns and technology.  It seems I almost sweat it through my pores, like a pale dye.  Being in an historically white university, a still largely white department, conducting itself in a language marinaded in conquest, perpetuates this subtle sweat.
            The smooth-faced sheen of this tower’s ivory – this body, the university’s commanding clocktower – is reflected in the geography of the town, its apartheid origins all too evident in its east-west split of well-treed suburbs and tarred roads, opposing in its very slope the scrappy minimalism of the adjacent “townships”, their unique blend of littered dishevelment and social-engineering regimentation.  Streets designated only with numbers counter streets named after rapacious colonial colonels.  Now, more than twenty years after “independence”, or “liberation” – haplessly ambivalent words, both – the boundaries are a little blurred: raucous street kids harass parking motorists, like wasps; ancient toothless beggars slump on colonial stone walls outside the restaurants, holding out a wheedling cup or jam-jar.  In the supermarkets shoppers of every hue shop amicably for much the same stuff.  And nowadays it is sometimes hard at first to tell scruffy young loiterers from students who affect a fashionable déshabillé and red-yellow-green woollen baggy-hats to contain their dreads.
            But barriers and inhibitions remain complex and deep.
           
۞

Vuyo never made eye contact; his lips seemed full of mercury, sometimes his accent and tangled syntax were difficult for me to follow.  There was the nervy screwing-up of his face every few minutes.  But there seemed to me even then something genuine about him, something intelligently different.  I thought it must have taken considerable courage to find his way into a university English Department, almost in the centre of the ivory tower.
Maybe he was feeling somewhat as I had, a few years before, when I elected to teach in a “bush school” in eastern Zimbabwe.  It was just a few years after independence there.  I don’t recall bravery being involved; but strangeness, certainly, being the only white Zimbabwean for eighty kilometres in any direction.  There, I was surrounded by, teaching and learning from, living among the same people, in much the same region, against whom I had ostensibly been fighting just a few years before.  I learned better Shona; I shared a cottage with a Shona colleague, one of the most beautiful men I have ever known.  I taught English, and History from the new post-independence textbooks that began with Marx and Lenin, to classes of lively Shona schoolgirls, fifty at a time.  I met some of their fathers who had been guerrillas in the liberation forces.  One of them said to me, “Those days are over.  We do not need to talk of them.  We are very glad to have you here teaching our children.”
            Everywhere the signs of a nation regaining a sense of self, of secure and straight-backed identity.
            It was very different in South Africa, even in the days following Mandela’s release and the first elections, even when, in 1997 or so, when Vuyo first came to see me.  Mentalities had not yet shifted much from when, as an undergraduate student myself in the 1980s, I had joined both community-based and university outreach programmes to teach extra English to deprived school-kids and post-Matrics, feeling that weight of mingled lassitude and neediness suffocating the classes, the debilitating ambivalence of it all.  I remember sitting on sunny patches of lawn near the university swimming-pool, wrestling with overweight uniformed girls’ glum and stubborn reluctance to engage or ask questions; I wondered how much of that was gendered, how much was terror of my whiteness, no matter how gentle I attempted to be, how much was discomfort in this alien rich environment where legally they were not meant to be, how much was a kind of synecdoche of an entire cowed people. 
Whatever I did to try to redress my own upbringing, there were limits.  Over the years I forgot much of my Shona, and found it almost impossible to replace it with isiXhosa.  I did a conversational course but thereafter I failed to converse much, and it withered.  I blame it on the ossification of brain cells as I have aged; on the utterly different grammatical structures of the language, so hard; on the pervasive desire of even Xhosa people around me to speak that all-powerful English.   But I know these are paltry excuses, really.  When I was in Patagonia I learned more Spanish in a month than I’ve learned isiXhosa in a decade, simply because I had to.  The laager still holds, because it can.

۞

Vuyo was different.  He was uncowed, polite without being deferential, self-contained without over-compensating swagger.  His hands were hard as a labourer’s, but there was a softness about him, a vulnerability.  He was asking for help from a member of the community he, too, had been fighting, or at least struggling against.
            As Vuyo began to bring me more writings, I tried to strike a bargain with him.  I was afraid – I think afraid is the right word – of a crushingly one-way relationship of need and supply, especially of money, which in my experience always gets entangled in increasingly awkward dance-moves of desperation and resentment.  So I asked Vuyo if he would teach me some isiXhosa.  He was instantly keen, launched into a string of words – chair, sit down, tree, I want to go home now.  It was immediately evident that he would be a lousy teacher.
            And so much of what he said and wrote, throwing up dense veils of grammatical obscurity and accentual difference, I simply could not at first understand.  And what those writings were about, I confess, I can no longer recall.
Nevertheless, in time I got to know quite a lot about Vuyo.   When I typed up a CV for Vuyo, he put down amongst his “Hobbies”, “Writing an autobiography.”  This was another deal we made.  I suggested that the two of us recorded his memories; then the idea was I would shape this material as much as needed without obscuring his distinctive voice and perspective on life and politics, which I came increasingly to see as highly idiosyncratic, thoughtful, self-made.  I sensed there was enough to make a little book out of it, maybe.  I wanted this mind to come to light out of its unpromising milieu, a level of society all too often lost to sight.  I wanted to help him construct the story, clarify and make it presentable without losing the unique timbres of his voice.  He was hugely enthusiastic about this idea.  I felt his was a story worth telling: not because it was heroic or triumphant, but almost the opposite, a story of ordinary disappointments and betrayals, of hardscrabble survival, family traumas, grimy civilian warfare, of love and love lost.  Its very lack of direction, I thought, might turn out to be its point.   
But by the time I realised what an extraordinary story he had to tell, it was almost too late.  We had the time, to be sure, but the time we had was not used.  We made appointments which he failed to honour, or I failed to honour.  Things distracted and interfered, as they do.  Time trickled away, until it really was too late.  This is a story of how much we failed to do, how our fragments failed to cohere.
I had secured a little digital recorder, and this is how we began.



۞




Text and Images (c) Dan Wylie
"Life turned upside down"
Grahamstown 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment