Saturday 3 December 2016

The Commander: Chapter 6

6 – Willing to serve



One thing that came was the Bisho massacre in September 1992.  Vuyo was there, he said; 80 000 marchers protesting the apartheid puppet rule of ‘Oupa’ Gqozo; his autocratic handling of the Ciskei was for all thinking locals the very acme of apartheid’s geo-political insanity.   Two ill-judged bursts of Ciskei Defence Force sustained rifle fire, 28 dead.  Among the marchers were Chris Hani, Cyril Ramaphosa, Ronnie Kasrils.  Among the 200 injured was Marian Lacey.  (Vuyo had got to know this social historian and activist earlier: he drew a finger across his forehead to show where a bullet creased her.  Marian was lionised amongst the lefties I knew at the university in the early ‘eighties, respected for her book-length study, Working for Boroko, and deeply mourned when she died of cancer.)  “I think four people died in front of  me,” Vuyo said, “and I was jumping over them, because I had no other option but to take cover so I could be in a safe place; so there is place there in Bisho next to the road that has those small trees there, so we went there in big numbers to take cover, but the helicopter, SA Police helicopter came and shot us.  I don’t know what happened, but when I checked my body there were no bullets there.  I am lucky because I didn’t understand what would happen to me.  So if you were in the battle during those days, if maybe you will see there are no bullets, or you are not arrested, don’t say you are lucky, because you don’t know what will happen.”

۞

In between his jejune political activities he was still going to school, up until Grade 9, which he did in 1998.  Then he got ill, and never got back to studying.  It was what he had done “underground” – just what never became clear, maybe running messages, just listening out, like the guerrilla mujibhas I’d encountered in the Rhodesian war – that disposed him later towards voluntary community activities.  He says, “If you give me a job of working for the community, that's my bread, that's what I want in life.   I wanted to be a child psychologist, because I love kids so much and then they love me also.  Ja, it's like, I mean if there's a presence of ubuntu, I have no problem.  I can work with animals, I have no problem.  As long as it is god-given to me, and then I am willing to serve.”  He volunteered at the university’s legal aid outreach programme, on domestic violence and HIV/AIDS forums.  Ironically, as it would turn out.


۞

That AIDS counselling centre, it’s a small house.   It’s very small, my house is bigger than that centre. They’re doing a lot of things.  Every morning, whether you are angry or not, you must listen to them because they are praying.  Singing and praying.  Some of the people who are going there, they are the caregivers.  And then they are spreading the information also.  Also, I decided to make this kind of appointment for legal activism is that, most of the people who are working there, who are going there, there’s that kind of a stigma.  Those gossips and all that stuff.  So we go and tell them about HIV/AIDS and the law.  Because there must be involvement of law, if someone feels bad, through stigma, she or he can act, legally.  We are going to tell them about their rights and all that stuff.   You can go to the Department of Law, conduct a legal activism, or a legal aid clinic, here at the University, here in N Street.  And then they will defend you, protect you.  It’s like a court case – you can sue someone if he or she insults you with your disease.
            My role is domestic violence and HIV/AIDS.   I sometimes answer questions, and translate, somewhere, and I used to call other people – during the workshop, I used to observe, it seems as if that guy is lost.  I used to call him during interval and say, what are we trying to say here?  This and this and this and this.   Last year we invited all schools, we took only five students from each high school. But, this year, our theme also this year and next year, we want to focus on the higher primary because those ladies there, they don’t know about rape.  Unlike the high school, so focusing on this before the high school because they don’t report rape.  It’s sometimes their fathers who are taking some chances.  Also, we want them to reveal those things.
Ja, this gender violence has become such a big problem.  It’s a variety of things.  I don’t want to be too much tacticional, but there is an involvement, going back.  In 1986, or late ‘80s, there were municipal police, they were from other provinces and they were not Xhosas.  So, they had some love affairs with our sisters in the location, then they had some children.  Fine, no problem.  But the problem is, according to our culture, something must be done, you know, traditionally.  Now those guys they left.  That’s where the problem is.  Now you see the corruption in our location.  People are killing each other and all that stuff – it’s because of that.  Being a person, you must have a background.  If I’ve got a kid, from somewhere, then I must respect that.  Then I must report that to the ancestors.  But if you don’t report yourself to the ancestors, you’ll see some symptoms, some wrong symptoms, according to our culture.  It’s one of the causes.
The second cause, it is materialistic.  It’s like if I am working and my dear girlfriend is not working and has a daughter.  And if my girlfriend is not here, and her daughter is here, I abuse her.  Sometimes, our girlfriend knows that, that we are abusing their girls, but they are scared too, because they don’t have money and all that.  They’re stuck in that situation.  It is ungodly, it is unacceptable.  In our location, should they notice you, they punish you like nobody’s business.  It is painful.  I don’t understand, you know. 
I think men are angry.  I know some of the guys, you know one of my friends, he’s a soldier; we were together in the struggle and we’re still friends even now.  Last month he was here in town to bury his brother.  He died of HIV/AIDS-related issues.  He said, he said to me, I am a man, I am walking in the street, during the night, I see a lady there, I go there and rape her.  He said that, he don’t understand that.  He don’t understand, he’s very lost about that.  Most of the guys they are lost, you know.  I say to him, I mean, what happened to you, just like that?  In these few minutes?  Why?  So it means that you are such a boast, such a criminal?

۞

Most ironically of all, in the early 2000sVuyo joined a community policing outfit, trained by some of the very same white Afrikaner policemen – heavy, forceful if not brutal men – who had terrorised the townships under apartheid.  “When we were boys we used to run from that man, run!”  Vuyo makes running motions with his forefingers and hisses his giggle.  “We would throw stones to his car then run-run-run.”  Now one of those same detectives is working with the township community-policing groups to repress drug-smuggling and illegal weapons and gang murders. 
“I am an anti-crime activist also there in my area,” Vuyo says, proud but not boastful.  “If you remember, in 2007, when that mother and the father, they were slaughtered there by two guys, then I am the one who brought in the information.  Because I track those guys, I managed to track them.  And then one of them was arrested on the following day, one of them on the second day, they were both arrested.  Then they are both in custody serving a life sentence.   I wanted to be an intelligence officer, I wanted to serve with the police.  But I said no, because of my age now.  But I and these guys of APLA, we are still combating crime, even though we are not officially registered as police.  But, when we've caught the criminal, we call the police.  It's like, we don't punish the criminal and all that stuff.  But we are winning.  We are winning in our job.”
Vuyo seems accepting of the weird ironies.  For all that fundamental geographies and divisions and scars of apartheid remain with us, times have shifted; the tenor and directions of criminality and threat have radically reorientated.  Vuyo will do what he must to try to protect his community, as he has always done.

۞

There were guys who were trying to rob the foreigners.  So-called amagwaragwara – I hate that.  They were trying to rob that shop in Extension 9, and one of those guys was killed in 2004.  So, we were going together with M., and it seems to be that they are all former soldiers, PAC there.  Then M. said, hey, can you see what I see now?  That guy is armed.  We thought he is joking.  And he said, what I’ll do now, unarmed combat.  I’m going straight to that guy now and I’m going to disarm him.  We thought that he was joking, and he went there, and he disarmed him, and we went and support him.  Then we called the police.  Illegal firearm and all that stuff.  And we called the detectives.   They compensate us with R4000 and said share it.  In some cases, I’ve been compensated, mostly under R.B.  It’s like, if you bring information, he’ll give you a phone and R200 and say, wait for finance department.  He’s just compensating you personally.  Later, I was here at home, at my mom’s place, then when I came back, there was an incident of mob justice.  I called my girlfriend, my girlfriend was there and I asked.  She said to me, Bhuti R. and the wife, they’re all dead.  I said, is there any suspect?  She said, No.  I said, I’ve got the suspect.   It was like I was suspicious.  The way some people were behaving and all that.  So suspicious.  And I called R.B.  Caught them, television, blood on the clothes.  I know them, those men, they are from my community, the very same street.   I don’t know what’s going on with those guys, really.  It’s getting worse.  It’s getting worse and worse.  It was better in the ‘eighties, you know.  Then we had a mission, there was always that mission.  Now there is no mission.
During the ‘80s, in our community, you don’t take chances, you don’t rape, you don’t kill.  You focus on the enemy.  Should you rape, the mob justice – they burn you, like nobody’s business, then.  If we can go back to 1985, there’ll be no crime in our location.  Let’s take back the necklace.  I don’t support the necklace but, most of the people in our community, they want the necklace back.  Should you rape – necklace.  Should you break the house – must be necklace.  By doing that we are eliminating rape.
There are drugs also.  I chased another guy yesterday, in Extension 9.  He’s selling drugs, for our kids, which is bad.  It’s something we would never tolerate in our location, you like it or not.  It’s also like that motto of impimpi, the spy, you know?  Said now, you want an operation impimpi now, you want the people to spy now and tell the police about things, tell the community police.  Some of the police are working well.  Midnight, they are always there in Extension 9, driving some nice cars, Kompressors, Mercedes Benz, so you won’t be suspicious.  Then, they are willing, they are willing.  There was another guy there at Xolani.  He used to do some random shootings and all this stuff, and then R.B., that detective, midnight [claps].  He use a borer to open the door .  Firearm is at the police station now.
There are so many firearms around.  Most of them they are illegal, even those who have legal firearms, they are not behaving well.   This guy R.B., is having some operation now of disarming all these guys who are armed.   They gave us some pepper sprays also, just to spray them when we are disarming them.  But we mustn’t beat them, must call the police and leave them.  It’s not easy to take a firearm, anything can happen.  It’s an unarmed combat.  If someone is armed, if you are trained, then, there is no problem, you can disarm them.  You must be flexible.


۞




Text and images © Dan Wylie
"Township: Pre-dawn edge (missing man)"
Grahamstown 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment