Saturday 3 December 2016

The Commander: Chapter 3

3 – Plans never bore fruit




And another interesting story  (Vuyo went on) is that my father’s sister, who worked for the university,  I thought that she was my mother.  Even during the death of my father, I thought that she was my mother; I only knew that she was not my mum in 1988.  Because she don’t have kids.  So during the end of the month, she will buy some clothes for me, buy some nice stuff, because when you are a kid, you like to eat, so she would buy some nice stuff for me.  My mum is still kicking.  Since she came here to town, she worked as a domestic worker, even now she is working for the family of O., next to the College; she worked there way back and is still working for them now.  The other interesting thing, is that family of O., they are  speaking Xhosa early now, because my mum taught them.  So now I was there a few weeks, back, and I found that, what I noticed was that there is that friendship now; so for instance, if there is something wrong, where I reside, that family will want to know exactly what is going on.
            Another thing that makes me to believe that my father was nice; my father will never have chosen a militant wife. So I confirm that my father was nice, because of the behaviour I saw from my mum; my mum is such a nice person; she will gather with those who are quiet and nice, like him.
            So after the death of my father, also going back to 1984, my aunt, the one I thought is my mum, she played such a role.  We didn’t notice even that we don’t have a father, because she decided to play the role of my father; and she left her house, and stayed with us.  And in 1997, she suggested that, No Enough is enough, you don’t have to stay here now, you don’t have to rent; I’ll buy a house for you.  So she bought a house for R53 000 for us.   Three years after, she died. And we thank her for the role she played.  So my younger brother, A., he took the responsibility of paying for the house after the death of my aunt, so we still remember her for what she did for us.
            My mother also is from Middledrift, but their surname is Klaas-Tshuni; so they played such a role for us; they became the family members as well.   Another reason they call themselves Klaas-Tshuni; during the era of apartheid, it was very wise. It was like, for instance your surname is Mthimkulu, ‘big tree’, then you must change it and say Grootboom, so that the past regime would recognise you, or recommend you; so you change the surname.  During the traditional ceremony, is where you reveal the truth; but after that occasion your surname is Grootboom again. You will notice that a certain Klaas-Tshuni; on my mother’s side the surname is Tyume; but since they spent years and years using the surname Klaas they are using both now –  Klaas-Tyume.  The side of my mum, my grandparents on the side of my mum, I don’t have that much history, because my mum’s parents died when I was so young. 
Before my mum take any step she will pray and pray and pray, and she will say, What I want to happen, will happen: ndifunga amaqocwa.  She is a church person; now she is attending a church there at Umzi Wase Ethiopia.  During 1992-3, there was a split, there was that contradiction, that a male is the only people who is supposed to do this and this and this at the church, so Dr K. M. he opposed that, and other church members, so there was a split in the church, so my mum decided to follow the side of Umzi Wase Ethiopia, a traditional church.  Another interesting thing is that my mum is still dancing, traditional dance competitions.   And she is leading Umzi Wase Ethiopia, and she has won many competitions.  In the last competition she was number two, there were many provinces for churches or missions; but in this town only, she will be number one.  She is fifty-nine years old, next year by June she will be sixty years; and I remember she said to me I must write down a letter by next year for an old age pension, but she says she won’t stop working, because she doesn’t want to be old, she want to work up until such a time it is necessary for her to retire, but she is fresh now, she won’t retire.  She is fat, she is fat, but she said to me, although she is fat even now, she dropped in weight after the death of my father.  At the time when my father died, my mum was thirty-six years old, but she decided to raise us; because if she was someone else, she was going to remarry, but she decided to stay with us.  And even now she is still with us. 

۞

Unemployed almost all the time I knew him, Vuyo did manage to pick up what is known as “work” now and then, in the so-called “formal sector” of poorly-paid exploitation.  I wrote recommendations for him on departmental letterheads, which doubtless helped, but he never stayed in the jobs for long.  He dangled for months on the prospect of a job in the municipality; he had some contact person there, but nothing ever transpired.  He worked for a couple of years in a chain supermarket as a “merchandiser” – or so he put on his CV, though this probably meant just packing other people’s luxuries on shelves.  And he worked in more menial capacities at a couple of service stations.  One of them he left, he informed me, because he had a dispute with the owner-manager, a lean, aloof white man whom I’d seen myself berate his employees in public view.  In Vuyo he encountered someone who had worked with MK and the Communist Party, a respected political mentor in his own community, and who was almost certainly better-read and deeper-thinking than himself.  Vuyo was an individual, in short, who was, in the “new dispensation”, simply not going to put up with any such unreconstructed racist shit.

۞

In between those occasional jobs, Vuyo was forever airing schemes for bettering his community.  He wanted to promote reading, and do something with the local libraries.  He had a scheme to clean up the plastic debris that perpetually littered his neighbourhood and blew all over the countryside to hang raggedly off fences and end up in the guts of cattle.  He was going to embark on a chicken-rearing scheme in collaboration with a local farmer and some ex-APLA cadres, and was negotiating a patch of land on the edge of the Common.  “We wrote several letters to the municipality,” he related.  “We raised funds, let's say I asked R20 from you, ask R50 from there.  Then we sent this guy to Pretoria, to Agriculture.  There's no answer.  They refer you here, they refer you here.  You go to Mr Blablabla, to Mrs Blablabla.  Mrs Blablabla sends you back to Mr Blablabla.  And then we show some examples of other good municipalities who supported their youth.  But here in this town they are politicising everything.”
At another point he and his mates were cooking up a scheme to prevent public phones from being vandalised, a combination of education and guarding.  But somehow these plans never bore fruit: the land could not after all be provided, some exorbitant bribe was being demanded, or sheer practicalities intervened.  Innumerable promises of institutional support evaporated.  I remember saying to him that communities now had to think of achieving their betterment despite government, not through government support, not waiting for them to come up with ideas or resources.  He agreed; and easy enough for me to say. 
I kept printing out new copies of his CV for him, wincing as he folded each one roughly into a back pocket.  Then I quietly provided plastic covers for them, thinking they would last longer and that employers would value a pristine document.  But perhaps the crumpling didn’t matter that much; what is it with our culture’s fetish for the flatness of paper, anyway?  I paid to put him through a basic computer literacy course, which he did, and passed, and showed me with a kind of offhand, coy pride his blue certificate.  But it never did provide direct fruit.
Instead, he did some house-painting and other odd-jobs for university colleagues of mine, Doctor Such-such and Professor So-so.  Vuyo enthused about his conversations with them: highly politically aware and compassionate people.  But when I asked them for news or memories of Vuyo, they said they hardly knew him, or couldn’t remember him at all.

۞

It was 1975 when I was born on the 18th April. According to my mum, it was hot on that day, and she delivered just five minutes after 6 o’clock early in the morning, and it was hot, on that day, and she was so glad because –  there are things that I might not say, but she is the best person to say, because during her pregnancy she thought there are twins. And after she delivered she was surprised that this guy was single; but she said to me the reason why she thought we are twins was because I had a big head, so she thought that we are two.  What is interesting about my day is that I was not born in hospital.  According to our culture, during those early days when you are born, when it is your mum’s delivery day, your mum, or one of the closer members of the family is supposed to call other relatives and neighbours, and old mamas who know a lot about the African teachings.  So I was born next to Egugcwini, the place of fire, where we store our wood, so we call it Egugcwini.  So everything was done there successfully.  So when their job was done and finished, they refer my mum and me to hospital so that the professionals can do their job as well. Because, by using that system, they are not saying they are against the professionalism, of the hospital and that stuff, but they are supposed to start up with their culture and what they know; and by doing that you are blessing the kid, to grow well and grow strong.  There was that belief that if you are born in hospital you are not as strong as someone born at Egugcwini.  Even the behaviour, they believe that your behaviour will be quite different, from the one born in hospital; although there is nothing wrong with that; but according to their culture, they believe that you ought to start there. 
I grew up during the hard times, my family; in 1975 my father was working but was feeling pains here and there, until 1981, where those pains became the murderer of my father.  So I grew up during those hard times, within the family.  The person who followed after I was born was Aya, my younger brother, in 1978, and Noba, my younger sister in 1981.  My first friend is Viyolo, now working for the  South African National Defence Force, and  another Viyani, for a timber company, at George.  Both of them, it is difficult to know who is my best friend between them; but the person who introduced Viyolo, was me, so we became the Tripartite Alliance.  There is one thing is also like about our friendship, we never had a conflict; although we were young, although there were many things that would result us to have a conflict; but we respect each other.  If you are wrong, we are wrong. You ought to accept that.  So those were the things I learnt from them.  More especially from Viyolo, he was not someone from a family with money or something to eat, so we used to help each other; during the breakfast, exactly that we are going to have a breakfast where I reside to my mum’s place, dinner at the place of Vuyani, so there was that kind of a system we were using during those days.  I remember the registration date, in 1981, when I was going to school for the first time.  It was me and Vuyani; unfortunately Viyolo he was residing at Tyantyi Location, he was far from us; whereas we were in Fingo Village.  So I and Vuyani, and our parents, we went to that primary school under the principal Mrs Z, so we went there, there were hundreds of students, there were high school students from Nathanial Nyaluza, because they were already matured, so they had no problem with the orientation day or opening day, so they were helping the parents, because their parents were working, so they act as parents even though they were students, from Standard 7 or all that stuff.  Almost during the opening day, it’s a busy day.  So fine, I and Vuyani, fortunately we were registered in the same class.  Our first teacher was the late Mrs M. at the Primary School; she was short, white in colour, and she liked kids, that’s what we noticed also. But the hard time was after the registration, when our parents said, Okay Vuyo and Vuyani, Goodbye, No, we are panicking, and we cried, up until our teacher gave our parents a mandate to go and come tomorrow; so Mrs M asked our parents to make such a nice lunch for us; and we must add, they must to try to spoil us so we know the meaning of the culture of education.



۞




Text and images © Dan Wylie
"Township: Shanty edge"
Grahamstown 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment